Position: Development Events Specialist
Reports to: Director of Development
Employment type: Part-time, contract position (through December 31, 2020).
The USS Constitution Museum’s mission is to engage all ages in the story of “Old Ironsides” to spark excitement about maritime heritage, naval service, and the American experience. The award-winning Museum serves as the memory and educational voice of USS Constitution, America’s Ship of State.
The Museum has an immediate opening for a Development Events Specialist to join its fundraising team. This is a part-time (24 hours per week) position available through December 2020. Reporting to the Director of Development (DOD), the Development Events Specialist will serve as project manager for upcoming fundraising and cultivation events. Due to COVID-19, the Museum’s events will be virtual through the end of 2020. The particular scope of work for this position includes execution of a virtual reception in late October in conjunction with USS Constitution’s birthday, a virtual lecture series this fall/winter, and a series of virtual cultivation events for Museum constituents, donors, partners, and corporate customers. Additional responsibilities include supporting planning efforts for two of the Museum’s yearly events: the annual Bush Breakfast and Collections Open House, as well as supporting initial planning efforts for the Museum’s 2021 Gala.
This position is conducive to remote work, although successful candidates will have the ability to work on-site at the Museum for occasional in-person events and meetings with internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage the planning and implementation of Development Special Events through December 2020 from concept through execution.
- Work closely with Museum stakeholders (trustees, staff, volunteers and Navy Yard partners) to create impactful and successful events.
- Successfully manage a virtual event platform (likely Zoom) and coordinate all components of the Museum’s virtual events to ensure a seamless and professional production (this includes integrating live and pre-taped video footage, audio, photos, artifact highlights etc.).
- Coordinate marketing materials for development events, including drafting and editing event descriptions, coordinating the selection of images; project management of email marketing, webpage listings, digital invitations, and programs.
- Support DOD in the monitoring of event revenue (sponsorships and ticket sales), as well as maintaining and working within an expense budget.
- Fulfill sponsor benefits related to event participation and recognition to ensure sponsors are properly credited for their sponsorship level.
- Oversee ticket sales, RSVPs, and attendee/sponsor communication.
- Previous event or program planning experience (minimum of 2-3 years).
- High degree of technical proficiency, particularly in the operation of virtual event and ticketing platforms (Zoom, Facebook Live, EventBrite, DoubleKnot etc.).
- Works well independently, able to manage strict deadlines and multiple projects at one time.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality work product and materials.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills with close attention to detail.
- Customer oriented. Experience working with high level donors and volunteers, as well as with major corporation and foundation clients.
- Compensation: Hourly rate commensurate with experience.
To apply: Send resume and brief cover email to Sarah Budlong, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be open until filled.
There are currently no volunteer positions.