Assistant Manager of Interpretation & Visitor Services
The USS Constitution Museum is seeking a creative, energetic, and motivated individual with a strong commitment to delivering a welcoming, fun, and safe visitor experience. From overseeing admissions and daily visitation statistics, resolving visitor problems, ensuring proper staffing levels, and engaging visitors in the history of USS Constitution, this position serves a key role in the day to day operations of the USS Constitution Museum.
The ideal candidate can multi-task, demonstrate quick problem-solving skills, foster a positive and productive work environment, and is able to engage with visitors from diverse backgrounds. Prior experience managing staff or volunteers preferred.
- Serve as primary manager to Visitor Experience Representatives in the absence of the Manager of Interpretation & Visitor Services.
- Model and mentor others in providing excellent customer service as the Museum seeks to be known as “the friendliest site on the Freedom Trail.”
- Perform opening and closing procedures for the front desk, exhibits, and offices.
- Accurately process and monitor financial transactions, including making change, processing admission fees, selling memberships, etc.
- Address visitor complaints or dissatisfactions in a calm, professional manner using listening, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Respond to visitor and gallery safety and security concerns and provide an immediate and appropriate response to alarms, emergencies, and evacuations.
- Edit the daily schedule as needed to ensure adequate staff coverage at the admission desk and in the galleries.
- Independently facilitate a range of programs and gallery interactions that engages children, families, and adults in the history of USS
- Assist the staff in facilitating personalized, engaging, and accurate interpretation by observing, providing timely feedback, and serving as a mentor.
- Maintain the flow of information to and from staff and visitors by working closely with other Museum departments, the National Park Service, the United States Navy, and other partners.
- Assist the Manager of Interpretation & Visitor Services in tracking daily visitation statistics and completing necessary data entry.
- Co-design and implement staff trainings to ensure that all Visitor Experience staff members can effectively engage audiences from a wide range of backgrounds.
- Assist in the recruitment and hiring of Visitor Experience staff and volunteers.
- Other duties and task as assigned by the Manager of Interpretation & Visitor Services or the Senior Vice President & Chief Experience Officer.
- 5+ years of experience working in a cultural attraction, customer service/ retail environment, or education setting. At least two years of supervisory experience required.
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm for USS Constitution Museum mission
- An outgoing demeanor and the desire to work with the general public, groups, youth, adults, and intergenerational audiences.
- Prior cash handling, knowledge of POS systems and or key holder responsibility required.
- Strong customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and quick-thinking in an audience focused environment.
- Ability to prioritize multiple demands and exercise sound judgement under pressure.
SCHEDULE: Weekends and holidays are required. This position will start with a 16 hr/wk schedule and will increase to a 40 hr/wk Tuesday-Saturday schedule once the Museum is open 7 days a week.
TO APPLY: Interested individuals should send cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. EOE.
There are currently no volunteer positions.