The Fund for the USS Constitution Museum
“Since the founding of the Foundation in September, 1972 our main thrust has been to establish the Museum. Many individuals and corporations have given of their time and money to help us achieve this goal. Our present roster of members includes 53 individual and 26 corporate. Now that the Park Service has given us its intent to allow us to establish and maintain our Museum in Bldg. #22, there is every hope that the membership will increase because now we have something more than a dream to offer…”
–From the Secretary’s Report to the Annual Meeting, 14 December, 1973
In order to open the USS Constitution Museum to the public in 1976, the Museum’s founders had to raise the funds needed to renovate the interior of Building 22 in the Charlestown Navy Yard, which was originally built in 1832, and install exhibitions about the history of “Old Ironsides.” It was estimated that it would cost $1.75 million to complete the work necessary. To raise the funds needed, the Founders established “The Fund for the USS Constitution Museum” and created a committee, chaired by Charles Francis Adams, to coordinate the fundraising initiative. As part of the fundraising campaign, two primary giving categories were created: Founders and Plank Owners.
The USS Constitution Museum would like to acknowledge and thank its earliest donors and supporters for their generosity, without which the Museum may not have been able to open its doors to the public.