Restoring an Icon
From May 2015 to July 2017, “Old Ironsides” was in dry dock for her first major restoration in over twenty years. During this restoration, skilled ship restorers and riggers from Naval History & Heritage Command Detachment Boston:
– Replaced the lower hull planking and caulking
– Removed and replaced 2,200 sheets of copper
– Refurbished and replaced the ship’s rigging, upper masts, and yards
– Rebuilt sections of the cutwater and trailboards on the bow
– Refurbished and rebuilt the gun carriages
After 26 months in dry dock, USS Constitution was successfully re-floated into Boston Harbor on the night of July 23-24, 2017 and will return to her berth at Pier 1 West in late summer.