|This 1884 watercolor by Henry Hitchings shows the Avery Oak and old Avery house as it appeared in 1853. It was reproduced in the Dedham Historical Register in January 1898.|
hull planking. Timber merchants from New Jersey to Maine scrambled to find old growth trees that had the straight trunks to cut long runs of plank, but also crooks and bends that could supply the hundreds of hanging, standing, and lodging knees needed to support deck beams.
her. It seems his young family resided in the town during at least some of the period in which the ship rose from the stocks at Edmund Hartt’s Boston shipyard.
alive. In the Hurricane of 1938, part of it blew down. Finally, in July 1973 a fierce thunderstorm rolled across the south shore. Amid high winds and flashes of lightning, the venerable oak toppled to the ground.
|Dedham’s town seal features the Avery Oak in full leaf.|