SHIP:  
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
MUSEUM:  
9:00 am - 6:00 pm
SHIP:  
10:00 am - 5:00 pm
MUSEUM:  
9:00 am - 6:00 pm

Announcing Souvenirs of “Old Ironsides”

Anchor Icon

USS Constitution’s 1927-1931 restoration in the Charlestown Navy Yard was the first 20th century drydocking of this ship. It was also the first time that souvenirs made from discarded materials from the ship were sold to the public to raise funds for repair work. These souvenirs, made from wood, copper, rope, and other materials, were sold not only to raise much needed funds, but were also part of the campaign to reestablish “Old Ironsides” as an important historic American icon. Advertisements such as this one were used by the U.S. Navy to promote a variety of souvenirs for sale, including bookends, miniature cannon, ashtrays, plaques, and more.

Date Created
1927-1928

Medium
Paper, Ink

Dimensions
[H]21 in. [W]17 1/4 in.

Catalog Number
2081.1

Credit Line
USS Constitution Museum Collection.

Terms of Use

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Other Items in Category