August 04, 2020
USS Constitution Museum Reopens on August 7
CHARLESTOWN, MA (August 4, 2020)—The USS Constitution Museum will reopen to the public on Friday, August 7. Following that date, the Museum will be open Thursday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
“We look forward to welcoming visitors back to the USS Constitution Museum,” said Museum President & CEO Anne Grimes Rand. “We are committed to providing educational and engaging experiences for our guests while offering a safe environment in accordance with city and state requirements. Visitors can enjoy a day in the Navy Yard, tour ‘Old Ironsides,’ then cool off as they explore the Museum’s galleries.”
The USS Constitution Museum has a careful and thorough plan for reopening. It includes many changes to the visitor experience, including:
- Timed tickets to significantly reduce capacity and person-to-person transactions. Tickets will be available online at usscm.org/tickets starting on Wednesday, August 5.
- Limiting the number of visitors in the galleries
- Requiring face coverings for everyone age two and older
- One-way foot traffic path with signage to help visitors maintain six feet of physical distancing throughout the Museum and Museum Store
- The Museum Store will open its exterior door when weather permits
- Frequent cleaning of high-touch points and disinfecting with an electrostatic cleaner every 90 minutes
- HVAC system calibrated to introduce more outside air
- Hand sanitation stations available throughout the Museum
USS Constitution, the National Park Service Charlestown Navy Yard Visitor Center, and USS Cassin Young also reopen on August 7. Constitution will be open Friday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. The Visitor Center will be open Wednesday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. and Cassin Young will be open Wednesday-Sunday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
The USS Constitution Museum temporarily closed on Friday, March 13 in response to the coronavirus public health emergency to minimize spread of COVID-19. Since then, the Museum has gone virtual to serve the public at home. This digital visitor experience includes robust outreach and engagement, offering videos, blog posts, collection highlights, and more. Every day the Virtual Museum disseminates dynamic content through its social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and the website usscm.org.
To learn more about exploring Freedom Trail official historic sites, including what to expect and requirements, please visit the frequently updated Experience the Freedom Trail Now webpage at TheFreedomTrail.org.
About the USS Constitution Museum
The USS Constitution Museum serves as the memory and educational voice of USS Constitution by collecting, preserving, and interpreting the stories of “Old Ironsides” and those associated with her. This award-winning non-profit provides an environment where inter-generational groups seeking an enjoyable and educational experience can have fun while learning and exploring history together. The Museum’s mission is to engage all ages in the story of Constitution to spark excitement about maritime heritage, naval service, and the American experience. For more information, visit usscm.org.